Magento Connect, introduced in 2008, serves as a marketplace for the distribution of Magento’s community and commercial products and services. Magento Connect offers product extensions, themes, design packages, 3rd party integrations, language packs, installation packages and much more. It provides third party development organizations and individuals get in touch with the Magento community.
What is Facebook Like button?
In the recent F8 conference, Facebook announced a universal ‘Like’ button. It is a social plugin that improves social interaction between you, your customers and their friends. This button can be added to any webpage and allows Facebook users to post pages they like to the profile pages. With this extension, Magento product pages incorporate a Like button. When the visitor clicks on the Like button, the extension helps users share product image and product name.
The Facebook Like for Magento was made available within a day that Facebook unveiled the ‘Like’ button at the F8 conference. The universal ‘Like’ button is important for Magento as it gives merchants an opportunity to promote their products through Facebook. Having product information directly posted on Facebook feeds means easier word of mouth marketing for users and easier way to pull customers on board. Ecommerce merchants who have adopted the technology early are likely to get the most advantage by having a faster time to market.
Facebook Like for Magento comes at $29 and is available on Magento Connect. Here are some of the features (as given on the Magento website):
· Add Like buttons (iFrame type) to your entire catalog in 5 minutes – XFBML also supported
· Like buttons can be placed on category and product pages
· Configure all aspects of the Like button from one place in Magento admin
· Supports both iFrame and XFBML buttons
· Automatically provides a quality title and image for your shared content
· Quick and easy install – just upload and refresh your cache
· Works with Magento versions 1.2.x, 1.3.x, and 1.4.x